Jerome Malysh, CPA CGA, CFE CFF CDFA and principal of Malysh Associates Consulting Inc has over 25 years of experience as an investigative and forensic accountant.
As a senior economic crime investigator in the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, Jerome gained extensive experience in the collection of evidence, the interviews of witnesses and suspects and the presentation of evidence before criminal and civil courts. Following his retirement from the Force in 1999, Jerome was the Senior Forensic Auditor for the Law Society of British Columbia and later joined a prestigious, international forensic accounting firm. In 2005, Jerome founded Malysh Associates to respond to an increasing demand for investigative and forensic accounting, and business risk management expertise for US and Canadian clients.
His experiences in law enforcement and private practice are extensive and include successful investigations of thefts, frauds, embezzlements, bribery, kick-backs, secret commissions, money laundering, asset tracing and asset recovery. His interviewing and interrogation skills further enhance his abilities to uncover hidden clues and evidence. Jerome holds the professional designations of Chartered Professional Accountant, Certified Fraud Examiner, Certified in Financial Forensics, and Certified Divorce Financial Analyst.
Jo Orton, CPA CA, CFF CFE CDFA CIA CDFA CAMS and principal of Malysh Associates Consulting Inc. has spent much of her career enhancing and developing her skills to become a specialist in the field of Investigative and Forensic Accounting.
She began her accounting career in 1996. Shortly after qualifying as a Chartered Accountant, she moved to Bermuda and worked in the insurance industry for three years. In 2002, Jo returned to Canada and worked at regulatory bodies including the Financial Institutions Commission of BC and the Law Society of BC as well as in public practice. In 2010, Jo joined Malysh Associates Consulting Inc. to further develop her specialized forensic practice.
Her experience involves the successful investigations of thefts, corporate frauds, kick-backs, conflict of interest, asset tracing, loss quantification, employee misconduct and the misuse or misappropriation of Trust Funds. She has presented forensic accounting evidence in the Supreme Courts and other quasi-judicial hearings.
Jo delivers investigative and forensic accounting services to help her clients resolve fraud emergencies of the most intricate and sensitive nature. She works with clients to mitigate and manage their legal, financial and reputation risks related to fraud and other ethical breaches. In addition, Jo assists clients by conducting proactive fraud risk assessments, developing incident response strategies, fraud awareness training and due diligence, divorce financial analysis and AML compliance programs, policy review and suggested revisions. Jo holds the professional designations of Chartered Professional Accountant, Chartered Accountant, Certified in Financial Forensics, Certified Fraud Examiner, Certified Internal Auditor, Certified Divorce Financial Analyst and Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialist…basically certifiably certified!
- Successfully traced, located and recovered in excess of $400,000 of assets misappropriated by a VP Finance
- Conducted internal control review of an international publicly traded company and implemented fraud mitigation controls to meet SOX requirements. Developed policy and procedures for the Audit Committee and Board of Directors relating to financial statement certification
- Developed AML compliance programs and internal audit programs for foreign exchange dealers and money service businesses.
- Conducted statutory AML compliance reviews for MSBs, Fx Dealers, Casinos, Real Estate Brokers, and Securities Brokers
- Conducted due diligence investigation for the acquisition and merger of a financial services business
- Pioneered forensic accounting techniques within the RCMP Commercial Crime and Proceeds of Crime Sections to bring successful resolution to complex financial crimes and money laundering cases
- Developed financial models for the distribution of assets and liabilities in divorce matters
- Provided expert opinions to the Courts related to fraud and money laundering
- Conducted internal investigations related to employee integrity and the misappropriation of assets